Re: batik and tea bags

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 09:21:36 PDT

I've dyed muslin (all cotton) fabric using tea bags, and it goes like this:
Bring the water to a boil, add the tea bags, simmer for about five minutes
and remove the tea bags. Then add your pre-dampened fabric to the hot
water. Make sure it is all submerged and check the fabric occasionally to
test for however dark you want the fabric to be. However, it never gets to
be a really dark brown -- beiges and tans would be a better description.
Rinse in cold water and let dry.

Being that you want to wax first and dye later, the above (hot water
method) wouldn't work for you. I've never tried using cold tea. It might
work, but it probably wouldn't be a very strong batik-type of a crackle
line. However, it might provide a nice subtle background effect, if you
painted another image on top of the fabric once the wax is removed.

Cheryl

Jennifer in Michigan wrote:
> I think that you can dye fabric using tea bags. I saw it on this list
>somewhere.
<snip>