RE: conditions in my school

---------

From: J+G Grant (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 06:22:33 PDT

I work in an extremely small school (65 children) between the ages of 4 and 12. As far as cleaning up goes, each group cleans up their tables and anything they have used after each class BUT every day, a quarter of an hour before the end of classes, everyone breaks off into their home groups to clean the school. Rubbish bins are cleaned, floors either swept or vacuumed, even dishes in the communal kitchen put into the dishwasher.

Teachers either go to university to get a teaching degree (4 years) or else do a (usually) 3 year degree in another field and then do a year of education dip ed. (This is true at least for the state of Victoria). We are all being encouraged to keep on furthering our expertise in various directions and the push is on for more to take on their Masters. During the four years (at least to my recollection) the first year has about 2 weeks of school experience, the 2nd has 4 weeks, the 3rd has 6 weeks and the 4th has 3 weeks + 2 days a week for the final semester. The students are supposed to try different types of schools - country/city/multicultural/private. Hope that this has been of some interest.

Gina
Melbourne