Re: portfolios

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 17:22:21 PDT

Yvette-

My students are also creating electronic portfolios (I call them digital portfolios- same thing) of their work throughout the semester. I'm trying it with my computer graphics class this semester but I want all art classes doing it soon. We used PowerPoint to create a huge presentation. Each artwork was inserted on a different "slide" with a written reflection explaining how they created it and what they learned. Last week, I had my first Family Night. For their mid-term, students showed their parents their digital portfolio and taught them a lesson in computer graphics using a technique they learned this 9 weeks.

I was disappointed in PowerPoint because some of their images changed when they were inserted. I thought about changing to Hyper studiobut the kids said that Hyperstudio was a lot harder to use for them than PowerPoint so we'll see. At the end of the semester, students will write their presentations to a CD-Rom. As far as disk space, what kind of disk are you using- a 3.5 floppy or a CD-Rom? I thought about using zip disks but the kids are really excited about creating the cover for the CD-Rom.

You also asked about file management. At my school, I have a folder on our network with my last name that I can make as many subfolders as I want without worrying about space. When students turn in work, they save it in one folder labeled drop box that they have rights to save work in. I transfer the work (while marking them off and giving a grade) to another folder called digital portfolio. In that folder, each student has their own folder where they can find their work. Students can open any file in these portfolios but they don't have rights to save changes.

If you have only a couple of computers and they aren't networked, you can create the same kind of set up on the C Drive with each student having a portfolio. Or, students can write their work to a CD-Rom from the beginning without ever saving it to the C Drive of the computer. Even in my classroom where I think every student is a perfect angel, I know hidden evil lurks and I would have a hard time saving the only copy of the artwork or presentation on the computer where any kid can get to it.

Michelle H. Harrell
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies