Re: Shadow puppets

---------

From: KPRS (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 16:02:01 PDT

I had my Gifted Students on the high school level do shadow puppets last year. I
will shorten the story by telling you that the most 'articulated' of the puppets
turned out to be the most...hmmm...well....'pornographic'... I can laugh today,
but all of our jaws were dropped when we saw their show. AND these cherubic 9th
grade boys didn't 'really' understand why I was speechless at their rendition of
"Pamela Anderson's" life. I did speak to them after class, and after I explained
that "just because women might be well endowed that doesn't necessarily make them
sluts", they wrote me an apology letter, and rewrote their script...in fact
handed in a whole other story. LOL. The rest of the class did wonderful work.
We used convas stretchers made into a frame that was C-clamped to the work table
(the puppeteers were under the table), and we back lit with a plant grow lamp.
We covered the frame with a sheet of white paper, which came off of those large
paper rolls. Moral of the story....."parts" are not just parts! I will say that
I had to stifle a laugh during the show when their Pam Anderson tried to save a
person drowning (because she was on some beach patrol show on TV-),and well she
couldn't dive under, she kept floating! (and that was the MILD part of the show)!

San D