Re: art education

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 13:45:40 PDT

FRANCIS REDFERN wrote:

> What would be really helpful to me now would be an encycolpedia of
> materials. How to use, what different materials do, how they interact.
> Anyone know of such a publication?

A very comprehensive book with lots of technical info on color media is
Ralph Mayer's The Artist's Handbook. It goes into amazing detail about
all the various pigments; characteristics of different types of paint,
encaustics, pastels, printmaking, collage, and techniques for handling
them; formulas for making your own pastels, varnishes, and grounds. The
fourth edition I have was published in '81; I believe there's a newer
updated edition, though I'm not really sure.

Maggie