Re:art education

---------

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 13:09:59 PDT

Madeline Hunter was THE method of lesson planning and evaluation when i was
first hired in the last 80's. I mentioned her when we were talking about
fun/seriousness in the classroom. I think it was awful her approach because it
realy didn't help to plan lesons or curriculum.

This whole thread about art education training is very interesting. There is
certainly al lot that a college program can do to train people to be good
teachers. I have seen student teachers who are prepared and some who are not. An
understaing of childrens developmental stages is important. An ability to
explain how and why do do or make some thing is also very important. A love of
the subject is needed and an ability to sequence lesons so that they make sense
and not just a jumble of art making experiences. One teacher I know who has a
BFA and then certification doesn't seem to understand about curriculum as a
whole as opposed to a group of descrete lessons.

I myself have taken classes and workshops on many different art techniques. I
have shown my painting, etching and pottery. I once joined an artist's group and
on my first meeting everyone was itroduced with their "letters" so and so has a
BFA or an MFA and here is Yvette with your BFA? No, I said, "I have an M.S. Art
Eduction." How superficial. I am a teacher and proud of it.

Yvette