Re: A "Painting to Music" Lesson

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 12:39:10 PDT

> I absolutely love the examples of painting
> with music. Tell me, are your eyes closed the whole time?

No...I have the kids close their eyes for about two minutes of the music,
then re-start the song, set it on repeat, and then have them paint. I want
the lines good and solid, and sometime the tempera goes on a bit streaky.
So, they go over those lines to make them solid. The colored paint will
look brighter with the black lines as a contrast nice and solid. Also, the
kids are instructed to avoid brushing their color across the black which
will lift the dried black pigment up and create mud...smearing, etc; They
simply paint between the lines and in the shapes provided.

> Is this a one-day activity?

The first day is painting the black lines only. We discuss lines,
brushstrokes, marks, and how they can symbolize the sounds they will be
hearing.

The second time they come to class, we paint color. My classes with the
elementary students is 45 minutes long. So...handing out supplies,
painting, and clean-up makes this as a two day activity just right. We will
be critiquing this next week.

> And as far as the "Wet Canvas" page goes, is that a
> temporary page, or will it always be accessible? (If I create a link to
> in on my own page?)
> Thanks!
> Jessica

Wetcanvas archives these lessons....and as far as I know will continue to
exist with no apparent need to delete them. Glad you enjoy them!

Larry Seiler
http://www.wetcanvas.com
http://lseiler.artistnation.com