parents complaining about music and other sad tales.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 10:44:40 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*
(snip)
> Anyway, last year our principal instructed us to not play music at detention.
> She said some parents had CALLED TO COMPLAIN that their children had to
> listen to opera. So, the principal kow-towed to the parents and that was the
> day the music died.
>
> Wouldn't you think that the parents would be more upset that their kids had
> misbehaved, did not do homework, had been disrespectful or disruptive???
> Something is wrong with this picture.
*

You'd THINK! But probably it's because the parents have no OTHER control
over the misbehavior, etc. and this is the only thing they can
"control"...us. It must be so dang frustrating to have no control over your
child's behavior when you've tried your darnest. I see this occasionally
with a friend who is a super parent but the son is just from another realm.

About 5 years ago I was having a "heart-to-heart/face-to-face" conference
with a boy's mom. He was a mid. school 7th grader with "running mouth"
disease who was a constant thorn in the bum-bum. During the discussion, mom
sat up straight,looked me in the eye, and said, "My son doesn't like the
music you play in the classroom". I was so taken off guard, I burst out
laughing! I apologized for the outburst but I had the biggest grin on my
face and she looked so sheepish...it was hysterical but I could relate to
what she was going through.

I play anything I want and they have to listen to it...no democracy here and
no music issue here either. It's their choice if the stereo is off or on and
I've not had an occasion yet to be asked to turn it off....oops...I remember
only once. They are learning how to listen to all types. My favorite is
"Music for Expectant Mothers"...however they don't know that. At
back-to-school night I'm also playing music softly which the moms and pops
are "oohing" over. I do tell them about the "Expectant Mothers" music, they
always laugh, and it's a good ice-breaker to lead into my oration.

Toodles...from one who listening to Eduard Grieg's "Melancholy" at this
precise moment.