clay whistler reject......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 11:37:59 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
*

>From: Vivian Komando <komandv@yahoo.com>
> I tried
> the whistles with my 11th and 12th graders. My friend,
> Cindy, who teaches elem art does whistles and gave me one
> for my birthday. I took it to school and use the lesson
> plan she gave me with it.

> Let me tell you, it was just as hard at the HS level to
> get them to whistle as at the lower level. I'd say 80%
> could not get the whistles to whistle - me included;P
*

Yipee! Someone ELSE who can't make it whistle! Carolyn Roberts and I went to
a NAEA convention (Chicago?) and wandered into a clay whistle-making
workshop together. We both made these really neat whistles out of wet-set
clay (yucky...BTW). Hers whistled...mine didn't. Mine never DID! Yes...I got
all the instructions, did all the right things...well...obviously not ALL
the right things since it didn't whistle, hum? For one brief (but very
intense) moment I hated Carolyn TOTALLY because she could make hers whistle
and I couldn't. Then I started looking around at all the other A-R-T
teachers who couldn't make theirs whistle either! I figured if all THESE
guys were having a bummer time, why spin my wheels and try to teach my tikes
about whistles from a dummy who can't "clay whistle".

BTW...I can give a really piercing whistle with just two fingers and my
little rosebud mouth...for what it's worth...which isn't much. Toodles....