BFA? BS in ED?... it is beginning to sound like the "Sneetches"

---------

From: mdecker (mdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 10:41:15 PDT

Just had to put in my two cents worth. Don't get me wrong....I have enjoyed
this debate. I think it is what we do with our life after the degree that
makes us a better teacher. I believe in life-long learning. I have a BS in
Education....and a Masters in Education....and I still think I am a pretty
good art teacher. Before I began my Masters, I had about twenty hours on the
graduate level--only ten of those transferred towards my masters.

If anyone in the Midwest section of the country wants to brush up on studio
skills--learn new things--I highly recommend Arrowmont in Gatlinburg,
Tennessee. They offer some wonderful week long and two week long classes
during the summer. It is like summer camp for teachers (only the food is
better than at summer camp!). You can take the classes for grad credit--or
just for the fun of learning. The classes are taught by renowned artists
(yes, teachers at universities) from all over the country.

Judy

P.S. Why twenty hours on the graduate level without declaring a masters, you
ask? Well...I was dabbling around in various media (as well as education
courses) trying to decided what I would work on for my Masters of Fine Arts
degree....You can see I settled on Masters in Education. After all, what I
really want to do is teach. Maybe I will be an "artist" when I no longer
have any wall space or when my friends and family are out of wall space.

BTW....This little "Art Elf" may be returning to teaching very soon....So I
will become a lurker instead of such an active participant.