Re: BFA(?) or BSED(?) for ArtTeachers

---------

From: Litesal (litesal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 09:42:57 PDT

> I find it fascinating that you have to have a certificate to substitute
> teach. Here, they'll hire anyone who breathes and graduates high school
and
> doesnt' have a criminal record, because they're so desperate for subs.
Not
> desperate enough to pay well, or offer benefits mind you, but desperate
> enough........all's ya gotta do is sit through a 2 - 3 hour class.

In PA, you have to be fully certified to sub. Certified teachers who are
substituting also have to maintain their certification, act 48 (I believe),
by earning 6 credits or a certain number of prof. development hours every
five years. I, personally, think a teacher should be exempt from act 48
until they are full time. Many people who are subbing can't afford to keep
up with the credits, and we have a hard enough time getting subs. I'm afraid
they will all get fed up and quit!

Leah