Re: Internet in the Classroom

---------

From: Gabrielle Prandoni (gprandon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 02:02:08 PDT

Ferdi,

I use the internet as another research tool for myself and my students.
It is invaluable. Before we were hooked up I had to rely on the media
center at our school, or other libraries (public and my own). Now with the
click of a button I am able to access information during planning time,
bookmark sites to compare and contrast artists work, and answer questions
that I do not know the answer to. I was reluctant to have this machine
invade my domain, but now I don't know what I would do without it. I have
found that lessons that were ho-hum are now thorough and exciting. We can
travel great distances, and learn about cultures as well as their art.

I live inside the beltway. I would have to say that many of the
inhabitants do not know of what they speak. [ I remember Bill (Wm..) Bennett
then Secretary of Education walking into a classroom and the students being
mesmerized. Well ya! There was one adult for each child by the time his
entourage filled the room. He didn't seem to understand how teachers could
be having problems with discipline.] It is so sad to see people make
blanket statements about education, yet they have only come to a school on
one day for one short period of time. The ability to engage and excite
today's communication saturated youth is no easy task. We need all the
tools at our disposal to expand their knowledge base and teach them how to
continue to teach themselves.

My one gripe with the internet is that it has taken away from time
students would use to develop their visual skills. A two dimensional
picture of an insect is not the same as observing it.
Have a good day.
Gabrielle