Professional Development

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 03:49:08 PDT

I've been following the thread about teacher preparation and
professional development responsibilities with great interest. I have
posted this information before, but will give it one more shot:

You have your face to face conferences once a year. Meeting face to
face is vital to forming relationships with peers. However, the
continuity of the dialogue is needed to maintain the level of enthusiasm
and interest that conferences inspire. The artsednet list is wonderful
for threaded discussions that can be contributed to at the user's
convenience and is an alternative for computer users who feel that they
do not have the 'expertise' to participate in real time discussions.

TAPPED IN (http://www.tappedin.org) is a place that gives users of any
techno-ability level the opportunity to participate in real time
discussions, share web sites relevant to the discussion topic, prepare
notes ahead of time to share with the discussion group, and keep a
recorded transcript of the dialogue for later reference. Members can
have their own office and they can meet with others in that office
whenever they choose. This would be an ideal setting for a group that
wants to take a proactive role in formulating art teacher prep. If
anyone from this list is interested in participating in/establishing
such a discussion group, I would be happy to help you set up an office
and facilitate the meeting at a time that is convenient for you.

I have written an article for librarians that has this same information
(...just substitute EDUCATOR for librarian...the basic concept is the
same.) The article, A Day In the Life of a Cybrarian, can be accessed
from http://www.infosearcher.com (please note that I am NOT saying that
librarians and arts educators are the same)

Please contact me on or off this list if you have any questions. (I
receive the digest version of the list and this will delay responses by
me to messages posted to the list.)

Respectfully submitted,
BJ Berquist
Associate Educator, TAPPED IN