Re: letters in color

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Manner (njanem4)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:16:52 -0500

Stenger - Judith DiSalvo wrote:

> ... I guess I thought everyone visualized numbers and letters in
> color...music doesn't necessarily appear in everyone's head as moving
> shapes, lines, and colors...

I want to know more, please. When I use the word "visualize" I mean the
pictures I make in my head, like when I read a novel and I visualize the
setting and the characters. When I use the word "perceive" I mean the image
that my eye sends to my brain because something is in my line of sight.

I have my students hold up an index finger, close one eye, and align the
finger with the edge of a window. Then I have them shut that eye and open the
other without moving their finger. Then they open both eyes. This is to
convince them that not only do they perceive differently with each eye, but a
third way with both together. Then we discuss the various meaning of perceive
and speculate about the variety of perceptions between each of us. NOW-if
you are seeing numbers and/or letters in color when I am perceiving them as
black, wow what a difference in perception there is!

By the way, I "feel" music and there are colors that pulsate behind my closed
eyelids that relate specifically to the music. I don't, however, "see" this
unless my eyes are closed.

jane