Re: Cultural Diversity Mural

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Manner (njanem4)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:03:55 -0500

VBSpivey wrote:

> The models of the Mexican muralists, especially Rivera, and also Ringgold are
> great suggestions. (Ringgold did a quilt project a few years ago celebrating
> the diverse ethnic groups of Crown Heights which has been produced as a video
> that your students would probably enjoy.) ...Ginger

Thanks, Ginger, for reminding me. I meant to send this earlier, but forgot.
This is Ringgold's site:
http://www.artincontext.org/artist/ringgold/default.htm

The National Museum of Women Artist in Washington had Ringgold do a huge quilt
with area school children when her work was exhibited. The quilt hung in the
atrium and was huge. I think it was in 1994, but the museum site keeps things
for quite a while.

I had a video a couple of years ago-one of those off the educational site that
you can use for just a year-about Judy Baca (sp) and a place in L.A. where kids
of different ethnic and social groups-gangs even-were given the opportunity to
paint sections of a very long wall. Perhaps someone will remember more than I do
and can give more information. My students were very involved. I wish Getty had
not eliminated the older archived posts from this list. Several of us wrote back
and forth about murals and art with postive social impact. (This old dog with
new ArtsEdNet Talk tricks to learn is also plagued with a grandma's memory!)

Jane