Re: allergies

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Heneborn (heneborn)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:26:27 -0500

Where do you get vinyl gloves?

I discovered that I am severely allergic to latex when I was blowing
up a balloon and slipped and the air went back onto my lungs. I passed
out and my lungs were in distress for days. Felt like an elephant
was seated upon my chest. I react to rubber in all forms. Pillows and
tires in an enclosed place! I don't have the immediate reaction to
rubber gloves I have to the thin latex gloves so I can use them in a
pinch.

Having so many sensitivities myself it is easy to make the program
accommodations needed for the sensitive child. I was fired once
(before right -to-know) because I refused to use irritating materials.
I fought and won a probation to prove I could have an exceptional
program without the offending materials. They liked my solutions.
There are so many possibilities that there is no need to expose
children to anything questionable.

Sometimes I consider that those of us who are sensitive are like the
canaries in the mines. Just because some don't react right away
doesn't mean they are not being harmed and we need to listen to the
canaries.

Sharon from NJ
--To respond to me directly click on heneborn

----------
>From: "Kimberly Anne Herbert" <kimberly>
>Subject: RE: Teachers w/students w/latex or other allergies
>Date: Wed, Nov 24, 1999, 11:04 AM
> Children with respiratory allergies may be very sensitive to fumes other
> people cannot even smell. They can become accidentally high off them or pass
> out. For latex allergies, we use vinyl gloves both for cleaning up and first
aid.
> Kimberly Herbert CAM Administrator
> San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts/Children's Art Museum
HI everyone,