Re: Cultural Diversity Mural

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Manner (njanem4)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:32:58 -0500

There is a mural in L.A. by Georges Yepes called "Muyer del Este de Los
(Our Lady of the Eastside). The clothing of the madonna figure is
covered with
flags from the country of origin of the numerous different ethic groups
who live
in the area. Mary Erickson used it as one of the works to be studied in
the DBAE
lesson Mexican American Murals on ArtsEdNet:

There is a very useful list of resources for lessons, many related to
diversity at:

There are murals used as examples in several of the listing.

The world is becoming a more connected community each day, especially
cyberspace connections. You can find may murals from many areas of the
globe. I
don't have the information readily available at the moment, but I've
used Faith
Ringgold (sp), Charles White, Thomas Hart Benton, Deigo Rivera, and
Marie de Medici series when exploring mural planning with my students.
My area
is rural also, but there is much ethnic diversity here. Last year, just
by doing
a group portrait of five seniors, one of my students was able to project
positive statement on diversity. Several years ago three students
painted a
mural around the corner where two of the darkest halls in the school
meet. They
not only approached ethnic diversity, their goal was to show the wealth
variety of interests students in the school have.

Good luck! The best advice I can offer is to plan, plan, plan. Do a
small version with all details before work begins on the wall. Present
this and
a written explanation of purpose, estimated time needed for completion,
materials required to the administrator in charge of your building.
Also, make
certain that everyone knows what an involved undertaking a mural is and
that it
should be a permanent addition to the school. New administrators can
come into
schools and, without considering the importance of murals, have them
painted over
during the summer before anyone notices what is happening. (This hasn't
to my students' work, but I know of it happening.)

.. My principal has asked me to have my students