Re: First-time Painters..an objective choice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:17:10 -0700

Stenger - Judith DiSalvo wrote:

> I absolutely agree. Creating art is akin to giving birth--very painful,
> very difficult, but a powerful and thrilling experience--when the product
> comes to fruition. My middle school kids think you create a painting in a
> half hour--(as in Bob Ross). They are so willing to give up at the first
> sign of struggle.

Aaarrrrghhhhhh! My HS students are the same! And if they see
_me_ make a "mistake" during a demo, they assume I'm a bad
artist. They honestly believe that "artists don't make
mistakes." It's hard to get through their thick heads that those
TV artists--who I've never seen--apparently have been painting
the same basic things for 30 years, and have their schtick down
pat. They don't see all the practice that went into those happy
clouds or whatever, and they seem to have no concept of the fact
that those shows must be edited. Those artists aren't really
completing a painting in 30 minutes, are they?

Maggie