Re: First-time Painters..an objective choice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:04:04 -0500

Stenger - Judith DiSalvo wrote:

> I absolutely agree. Creating art is akin to giving birth--very painful,
> very difficult, but a powerful and thrilling experience--when the product
> comes to fruition.

Please--stop--men don't give birth by the way. Babies aren't products and they
don't come to fruition--they're born.

And ideas about art being a struggle are nothing more than 19th century
romantic pap. Here's the secret of making art, and other things too: Find
out what you do best, and stick to it---and what you do best is what comes
easiest to you. For example, when you have a visitor in your home who admires
an object, and asks--that's great! who made that? And you answer--you like
that? That's something I just threw together one afternoon when there was
nothing else to do-- *That's* art, and making it: artmaking.

Best wishes,
Joseph