Re: great lessons for 1st grade

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:07:18 -0500

Hi Brandyn --
When I first started, I organized my curriculum around 5 of the elements of
design: Color, Texture, Line, Shape and Space. Then I just looked at
resources and books (now of course you could check the internet -- I'm sure
some folks will be sending you web sites with interesting lessons) and
decided what lessons I could do with the supplies at hand, trying to give a
good variety of media experience, both 2-D and 3-D. As the years went by
and I refined my lessons, I became more aware of sequence (how what they
learned in 1st grade could contribute to what I wanted to teach them in 2nd
grade, etc.) and now I have them related to the NY State Standards for the
Arts. But at first I think it is enough to get some lessons that you feel
comfortable with so you can get the logistics of running an art room under
control. The elements of art always made me feel that I actually had a
Liz in rural NY