Continuing education(masters) Long-Congrats, Sharon!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:34:48 -0500

Maggie White wrote:
> Our own Sharon Henneborn was selected for the Eastern Region
> Elementary Teacher of the year 2000.

Way to go Sharon! Good to know our list is so successful-with all
the recent postings on National certification and now this. Maybe
there's hope for me- achieving the back to either graduate school or
degree in Early ed.

Say does anyone want to post on their experience after getting a
masters in fine arts and not having a teaching degree or just a
bachelors in fine art and and ECE degree. How did you find job
hunting with the two different types of degrees? How are you treated
by your workplaces and colleagues with varying degrees? Have you
been satisfied having your current educational background or do you
feel lacking to deal with ever changing society and current teaching
trends?
Basically I'm going to go back to school next year and all I have is
a BFA and about 15 years hands on experience working full and part
time as an art teacher in private schools (K-8th), museum (Pre-8th)
and preschools as a head teacher in PreK programs, and as an art
coordinator. Even with this experience I can never get past a
certain pay scale, since I don't have a teaching degree or (ECE)
degree. My minor was in child development/psychology. Have taken
classes during these 15 years in early ed and child development and
a lot of reading. So all the while painting on my own work and
thinking maybe I should teach kindergarten since I like to
incorporate hands on learning, whole language, science and math into
art lessons,and I've done preK for so long.As things stand the
majority of my class 12 out (of 16) were old enough to go to
kindergarten but parents held them back as the trend is now, so I
had to upgrade the lessons to fit an older child.
Sandra
mail to:<astroboy>