Re: q.e.d.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:24:25 -0500

Artimis wrote:
>NoNo! Are you trying to say that ALL Americans go to college and finish
high
>school? We all know that is not true.

A generalization?

..honored ones at high school and college are the jocks and so on, not the
intellectuals, as shown in the recent shootings.

Another generalization? Not all of the shooters have been the intellectuals.
Not all of the victims have been jocks. Columbine, as most of the other
shootings, reflects the issue of bullying in the extreme with extreme
reactions by the victims. The group names and divisions are what we need to
work to alleviate. Diversity, tolerance, acceptance, conflict resolution,
etc. are not merely buzzwords, they are a way of life.
We cannot tolerate any bullying if we are to avoid similar problems in our
own schools. We have to model the behaviors we seek to encourage.

I reiterate that in this
>society brains and learning are not honored and admired, mere appearance
and athletic ability are. . And it shows in all areas.

Generalizations are dangerous. It's too easy to fall into an attitude of
reverse discrimination.

Don't be a cop out.

This could be stated more generally, less directed or inflammatory. We've
had enough upset lately on this list, and I for one would appreciate a
little more tact. We should try not to create more stress for each other in
an arena that should be supportive. We can discuss ideas reasonably and
refrain from personal attacks.
Linda K.