Re: rats leaving a sinking ship

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:37:57 -0700

Aaron and Jennifer wrote:

> Listening to my peers over the past few days I
> beginning to feel empty again. One teacher is ready to leave. She has
> applied for another position elsewhere. Another teacher (who the principal
> deems an "effective teacher") is beginning to look elsewhere, too. <snip> This is a district-wide problem, as I gather.
> Turnover is worse than the smell of rotting meat.
> How does one deal with this? I beginning to feel deserted and hopeless.
> I am not sure how to reinvigorate myself and give one hundred percent again.
> In turn, I can't help but wonder if I should make the same move.

Jennifer,

We've been having turnover problems in our district, too, the
last five or six years. Prior to that, the district had a
reputation for the longevity of its teachers. Morale sank very
low due to a new superintendent and his sidekick/business manager
who really jerked people around. Much as I loved my job, I
absolutely dreaded the start of school. I realized after about
three years that I always felt much better the day the students
started back; I could just close my door and teach and have fun
with them. It wasn't _their_ fault the staff was feeling so
low. Things are better now, mostly due to the ass't principal
becoming principal; he's really super.

Why exactly are people leaving? Is there something going on
district-wide, or just a cyclical change? If you can analyze the
situation and determine the true cause, you might be able to work
through it.

Do you still enjoy your students? Or do even they seem like a
hurdle? If it's the students who are really getting you down,
why? Do you feel they're out of control? Is your admin totally
spineless in dealing with them?

If you're still enjoying your students and feel like you're doing
something worthy, close your door and have fun with them. Stay
away from negativity and grumbling in the teachers' lounge. Try
to find out who's still hanging in there with a positive attitude
and glom onto them for support. And, as I mentioned in my reply
about burn-out a few days ago, try something new to keep yourself
fresh, even if it's something simple.

Good luck, Jennifer. This is a difficult time for you. Have a
relaxing holiday.
Maggie