Re: Frank Gillette

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey L. Pope (Stacey_L._Pope.us)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:25:27 -0500

njanem4 writes:
>Inform me, please. I attempted to find out more about Frank Gillette
>after the post about the computer lab class assignment. I found a list
>of his work, many very interestingly titled videos, but, alas, no
>visuals. Where can I actually see his work?

Hi folks,
I just wanted to share with others where you can see some of Frank
Gillette's work. Go to the following web site: http://www.limulus.org/

Our local museum, the Everson, has started doing county wide art events
with high school teachers. This year we had 3 workshops for teachers
after school. We talked about what it means for technology in the arts,
digital images, spoke with the artist Frank Gillette who is currently
showing at the museum.

Once the workshops end, teachers go back to their classes and introduce a
concept for their kids. A couple years ago the theme was Casting the
Family. This year is digital images and the impact of technology.

As you look at FG's website, keep in mind he told us that his goal was to
create computer generated images which don't look computer generated.

Anyhow, for my kids, they HAD to pick a theme otherwise they would just
wander...they are only 9th graders and just don't have the experience to
create things that can't be focused....you know how easy it is for them to
try to use hearts and peace signs! That was the reason why they had to
have a focus!

At the end of the production, each teacher who participated in the event
can select 3 pieces to hang in the Everson museum, the kids get an art
opening, and their work is on display for a month! It's a great honor for
them.

I'm pretty busy, but I'm going to try to get some of the work on the web
by mid Dec or Jan.

Enjoy!
Stacey