RE: Teachers w/students w/latex or other allergies

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:04:03 -0600

Ask the student and/or parent to explain exactly what the allergy is, how
allergic is the child, what type of contact will cause a reaction
(ingestion, touch, or fumes), and what you should do if the child has a
reaction. If they have an epi-pin, ask the parent to teach you how to use
it, incase the nurse in not there during an emergency. Never assume the
child or parent is over reacting. I ended up in the hospital twice while in
preschool/elementary school because teachers thought my mother was
exaggerating when she said I couldn't touch peanuts, peanut butter, or
peanut oil. Deal with any threat from another child to expose the allergic
child to the allergen as a threat to that child's safety.

Children with respiratory allergies may be very sensitive to fumes other
people cannot even smell. They can become accidentally high off them or pass
out.

For latex allergies, we use vinyl gloves both for cleaning up and first aid.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator