Re: q.e.d.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:16:44 -0700

Artemis420 wrote:

> In a message dated 11/23/99 10:34:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> Holly112 writes:
>
> << I truly believe that one of the major reasons there _is_ so much
> respect for education and intellect in other countries is
> because, as Holly mentions, not everyone gets to go to HS and
> college. >>
> NoNo! Are you trying to say that ALL Americans go to college and finish high
> school?
> We all know that is not true. There is much more to it than that. The honored
> ones at high school and college are the jocks and so on, not the
> intellectuals,,,as shown in the recent shootings. I reiterate that in this
> society brains and learning are not honored and admired, mere appearance and
> athletic ability are. . And it shows in all areas. Don't be a cop out.

I'm not copping out, Artie. (I wrote the above, not Holly.) Of
course I know not everyone finishes HS or goes to college. The
U.S. education system is definitely lacking when compared to the
systems of other countries. But, as I said, I think it's this
ingrained American belief that any dum-dum has the right to go to
HS and college. (Look at the lawsuits against professors who
give low grades to students!) Education in some other countries
is a real privilege, and not because it's simply a venue for
athletes like it is too often here. Brains and learning are not
honored and admired here because true education takes a back seat
to other things, and has for a long time. Americans complain
about the educaation system here, but when schools try to load on
more homework, longer school days, longer school years, etc.,
parents scream that it cuts into their family time and
vacations. Yet systems in other countries have these
requirements.

Rosa, Ben, and you others from outside the U.S.: can you give us
some additional perspective to this debate?

Maggie