Arts section of NYTimes/daily download

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
annabeth (annabeth)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:53:56 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_016D_01BF35F4.DC0E99E0

The New York Times Internet Inbox
-----Original Message-----
From: nytdirect <nytdirect>
To: ARTLEISURE <ARTLEISURE>
Date: Wednesday, November 24, 1999 1:16 AM
Subject: Arts

Preview other sections from today's New York Times
Arts/Living | Business | National | International | Opinion =
| Page One Plus | Sports | Technology=20
Personal Search | Modify Preferences=20
=20

=20
Wednesday, November 24, 1999 =20

=20
=20
A guide to the city's arts and entertainment scene.=20
=20
Theater=20
Art=20
=20
Film=20
Music=20
=20
=20

TO OUR READERS=20
This page, which had been previously called =
Arts/Living, will now only contain arts news and features. Our new =
living section, featuring dining, home, fashion, gardening and styles =
articles, can be found at this location. =20

SPECIAL FEATURE =20

AUDIO=20
American Music's Coming of Age=20
This article by Allan Kozinn critiques the New York =
Philharmonic's "An American Celebration," a set of 10 CDs of American =
music played and recorded by the orchestra over the years. Audio =
excerpts from the collection are included with this feature.=20

SPECIAL FEATURE
The New Season=20
This fall season preview includes event picks by New York =
Times critics, trailers for upcoming films, music excerpts, and slide =
shows offering a glimpse of what arts events are to come in the months =
ahead.=20

SPECIAL FEATURE=20
P.S. 1: Art in Unlikely Places=20
Take a multi-media tour of this unique center for =
contemporary art.=20

IN CYBERTIMES=20
arts@large=20
Reports on technology's effect on the arts, high and low, =
including enhanced CDs, museum displays, interface design and =
downloadable music.=20

SEARCH TODAY'S NEWS Tips =20

Advertisements=20

=20

OPERA REVIEW
A New `Tristan' to Rival Memories
By BERNARD HOLLAND
Given the unreasonable demands, a Wagner performance will =
always be the art of the possible, but Monday night's "Tristan und =
Isolde" at the Metropolitan Opera, a new production, may be as close as =
we shall ever come to getting it right.=20

=20
FILM REVIEW
Animated Sequel Finds New Level of Imagination
By JANET MASLIN
"Toy Story 2" can be enjoyed without wondering exactly why =
the Pixar animation looks even better than it did the first time. Among =
the many talents of the director, John Lasseter, and his huge crew of =
computer-animation pioneers is a gift for making their work look easy.=20
=95 VIDEO: Trailer for `Toy Story 2'
=95 `Ride With the Devil': A Heartland Torn Apart (Video)
=95 `End of Days': Satan Is Planning Millennial Mischief =
(Video)
=95 'Flawless': Drag Queen Rescues a Disabled Cop (Video)
=95 `Tumbleweeds': On the Road With Mom the Sexpot (Video)

BOOKS
A Time Traveler Returns, Still Restless
By JANE GROSS
Michael Crichton, whose popular techno-thrillers are filled =
with the arcane knowledge of a lifelong bibliophile, had to become =
proficient in the science of quantum technology and the history of =
medieval Europe for his latest novel, "Timeline."=20

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK / FILM
When the Whistle-Blower Has to Make a Choice
By WALTER GOODMAN
If anyone is having trouble choosing between a lawyer and a =
journalist on the basis of professional dependability, "The Insider" =
should resolve the matter. The movie, about a real-life tobacco company =
whistle-blower, leaves little choice but to hire the lawyer.=20

TELEVISION REVIEW
Looking Beyond Mr. Thanksgiving's Easel
By ANITA GATES=20
"Norman Rockwell: Painting America," a 90-minute "American =
Masters" on PBS, has done a nice job of packaging the artist, even if it =
is more interesting in terms of his personal life than instructive in =
assessing his work.=20

MUSIC REVIEW
Mitsuko Uchida: Starting With a Bang, and a Point
By ANTHONY TOMMASINI
The pianist Mitsuko Uchida purposely played the works by =
Chopin, Webern and Mozart that formed the first half of her recital at =
Carnegie Hall on Monday night in the opposite order from what convention =
would have dictated.=20

OTHER ARTS NEWS=20
Dance
=95 Jeraldyne Blunden, Founder of Dayton Modern Dance =
Troupe, Dies at 58

Music
=95 Christine Schafer : Evoking Emotions, Spiritual and =
Mundane
=95 Pamela Frank: Like Her Dad, She Knows Her Beethoven=20

Television
=95 TV Notes: Olympic-Caliber Performance
=95 Gene Levitt, 79, a TV Writer; Created 70's Hit `Fantasy =
Island'

Theater
=95 `Last Train to Nibroc': The Surface Seems Chilly, but It =
Is Definitely Love=20

Word and Image
=95 'Pelikan': A Dutiful Son's Errand in the Big Easy

=95 Culture Notes: Taking a Bow

=20
FORUMS=20
Arts
=95 Artists Helping Artists
=95 Theater
=95 Dance
=95 The Creative Process
=95 Architecture
=95 Artists and Exhibitions
=95 Television
=95 Television Trivia

Film=20
=95 Independent Film
=95 Violence in the Movies
=95 Director's Forum
=95 The Worst Films
=95 Current Film
=95 Film Trivia
=95 Film Actors and Actresses
=95 Video Rentals
=95 Foreign Film
=95 Film Favorites =95 Books to Film=20

Music
=95 Popular Music
=95 Jazz
=95 Classical Music
=95 Opera

MORE FORUMS...=20

=20

=20
=20
=20

Home | Site Index | Site Search | Forums | Archives | =
Marketplace=20
Quick News | Page One Plus | International | National/N.Y. =
| Business | Technology | Science | Sports | Weather | Editorial | Op-Ed =
| Arts | Automobiles | Books | Diversions | Job Market | Real Estate | =
Travel=20

Help/Feedback | Classifieds | Services | New York Today=20

Copyright 1999 The New York Times Company
=20
=20