Re: q.e.d.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Holly112
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:34:06 EST

Dear Maggie, Thank you for so elegantly stating exactly what I meant!!!!
You have no idea how good your reply made me feel after reading some of the
other replies! I was like: "YES! YES! Here's someone who gets what I mean!"
I think maybe I'll just read and keep my thoughts to myself!

In a message dated 11/23/1999 10:05:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mwhite writes:

<< > In a message dated 11/22/99 9:08:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> Holly112 writes:

> Here in America, everyone gets the
> chance at an education, because we have an "open" educational system.
<snip> only those that are
> bright have a chance at an education over there, and that skews the
results
> of all comparisons, because the total population is not really
> representative
> of the schools there, like they are here... >>
>
> That is a pretty weak excuse IMHO. It is nearer the truth to say that there
> is little respect for education and intellect in this country. I notice
> children pretending not to know information and learning that I know full
> well they do know, in order to 'fit in.' Education and knowledge, etc., are
> among the MOST respected and admired attributes of a person's character in
> most other countries.

Artie,

I truly believe that one of the major reasons there _is_ so much
respect for education and intellect in other countries is
because, as Holly mentions, not everyone gets to go to HS and
college. One of my German exchange students was recently
explaining their system to me, where after 10th grade those who
want to go on--to grades 11, 12, and 13--must pass an exam. And
we are probably all aware of the intense pressure placed on
Japanese students to get into the best schools, resulting in
their going to tutoring schools at nights and on Saturdays, and
sometimes, tragically, comitting suicide if they don't meet the
high expectations. That is obviously too extreme; certainly no
one here would like to put that kind of pressure on students. I
wish we could achieve a balance. Meanwhile, I daydream about a
school where only the motivated, and not even necessarily bright,
students are allowed in...*sigh*

I've never felt so proud of my profession as when I travel in
foreign countries, esp. Latin America, and tell people I'm a
teacher. They make me feel soo-ooo important and honored! And I
think it's because of what Holly was talking about.

Maggie