Short story about starting school/pre service training

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Heneborn (heneborn)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:32:49 -0500

1957-1962 I took my "training". I was not very well prepared for the
organization needed for the opening of school and taught homeroom to
33 4th graders, and science and art to 4th, 5th and 6th. I thought I
did pretty well the first few days.

Summer finally rolled around and the last day of school it was 113
degrees in the classroom without airconditioning. All the kids were
eager to scoot out and run home but one boy hung back. I asked him if
I could do something for him and he said, "I thought I could do
something for you." I said, "Thank you, but everything is put away
and I am ready to go."

He said, "I have a notebook I want to share with you for next year. I
have been keeping notes about all the things you did wrong all year
and I have a book full of suggestions." Well, we sat down and went
through his notebook, day by day, starting with passing out books,
assigning lockers, and name tags. I used his notebook of ideas the
next year and that was worth more than all the teacher prep I had in
undergraduate classes.

We should all be so lucky to have such a mentor. He kept this book
every year for his own benefit because he planned to be a teacher. He
had never shared before but he thought I could benefit too.

Sharon from NJ
--To respond to me directly click on heneborn