RE: quilting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Karen Polastri (kpolastri)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:27:11 -0800

Thanks Ricki for sharing your lession. Would also like the complete lesson
as you referenced. Karen at kpolastri

-----Original Message-----
From: E Hess [ehess]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 6:31 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: quilting

ricki fromkin wrote:
how do you and your students
> actually make the quilt?
> Ricki

Hi Rikki, Gotta apologize in advance -- I just don't remember your
grade level. I'm teaching K-5. I am a quilter, but I am not ready to
do a cloth quilt with my kids. Yet.

However I have successfully made paper quilts with 1st graders. Each
kid makes a paper patch, I punch holes every inch or so (I use a
three-hole punch and do two patches at a time--very easy). Then I
scotch tape two patches together and show them how to whipstitch the two
patches together. I keep adding patches, having up to five plastic
needles in use at a time until we have a class quilt. We overcast the
outside edges with the same yarn. The kids all love doing this and it
IS EASY. Easier and less work for me than a cloth quilt.

Good luck! I do have a more complete leson if you desire to see it.
:) Jeannie in PA

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: kpolastri