Re: Artists as heros

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:53:57 -0500

Ann Wilschke wrote:

> Help!
> Our eighth graders research and present speeches about heros.
> People who have contributed signifiantly or overcome great obstacles.
> I always want to encourage the use of artists as heros and heroines.
> The English teachers seem to be unaward of artists. duh?
> So I want to provide them with a list and rationale.
> e.i. Frank Lloyd Wright---earthquake proof buildings, etc.
> Frida Kahlo---overcoming personal health issues
> Miriam Shapiro---forwarding the cause of women artists and
> their tradional work.
>
> So can you all please send me some other ideas????

FL Wright is an architect, scratch him off your list. Add: Jackson Pollock,
who singlehandedly surpassed European Art and raised American art to the
standard by which all other art is measured. Marcel Duchamp, who devalued art
as a commodity, demonstrating that it was was the idea, rather than the
product, that ultimately mattered. Piero Manzoni, the Italian artist who died
while only in his 20's, who was the precursor of earth art, minimalism, and
performance art; who once canned an edition of his shit, entitling it "Merde
de artiste", and sold out the entire "edition" demonstrating that collectors
will buy almost anything, and my personal hero, Joseph Beuys, who believed
that everyone is an artist if they only want to be!

Best wishes,
Joseph