Re: Jackson Pollack Lesson

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:24:40 -0500

ARTNSOUL12 wrote:
> Hi, Everyone!
> I'm doing a Unit on Famous Artists from 1940-1970 and I know I need to
> include Jackson Pollack as an inspiration for a lesson. However, although I
> understand his philosophy and goals to his Movement or Drip Paintings, I
> can't think of anything short of having my students replicate this. Does
> anyone have a different or unusual lesson using Jackson Pollack as an
> inspiration?
> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Susan on Long Island

If I don't get my head bit off-I went to school (college) in KCMO.
There was a teacher/artist of his, named Thomas Hart Benton. Pollack
had him at the Art students league in NY. He was also apart of the
WPA. Anyway the reason I bring this up is, to show how he developed
over this time. He and another brother (Sandy) I believe, both
studied art in NY. He of course studied the basics and under Benton
of course was influenced by his style. I don't know what age yo are
teaching but in High school and Junior high you could accomplish
this. Make a painting or drawing using the same techniques of
Benton and then (metamorph) the other side of the painting to
Pollack. A teacher/student project with influence toward his own
developing style. All you have to do is look at any book with prints
on him to see that he came from a fundamental background. What most
people think of Pollack is only a small portion of what he was
about.
My god your in Long Island- Take a trip to my old school> the art
students league, and show the kids what it's all about!
Sandra
astroboy