Notification of students' needs was Re: Pre-service training

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:18:37 -0600

I know students' privacy has to be protected, but administrators have to
balance that with student safety. When I was subbing, a science teacher left
a video on optical illusions. Thank God the grade level aid walked in the
room when the announcer said something like If you have a seizure disorder
do not watch the next segment. 4 of the kids had seizure disorders, and she
told them to close their eyes.

All the fifth grade teachers went to a workshop one time, so we had three
subs. One was having trouble with the kids pulling pranks including a fake
asthma attack . She was told by the principal not to let any other child
leave the room. Later in the day one of the kids from that room burst into
the class I was teaching. He begged me to tell the other sub that he was a
diabetic and needed to go test his blood sugar. He was one of the trouble
makers, but I knew he was diabetic and he was pale and sweating. I asked the
other two subs to step out in the hall. Since the grade level aid was at
lunch, we decided I would walk the boy to the nurses office in the JH
building.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator