Re: KIDS WHO NEVER FINISH :(

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:26:49 -0500

Anna N. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to collect some ideas on what to do with the student who NEVER
> finishes. Not the kid who is fooling around wasting time, but the ones who
> work all class, (some are meticulous w/ great skills, some work dilligently
> and are struggling) but soooooo slow that they will never finsh a project
> all year! I have tryied to focus them, make smaller sizes, etc... and I'm
> just not sure how to help them. But it's so unsatisfying for them (and me)
> that they never fully finish their beautiful work. Some teachers require
> they come in during recess, and, for kids who fool around in my class- they
> "make up the class time wasted" then. But the kids who are working hard
> all class, I just don't feel it's right to take away their 15 minutes of
> free time per day. Any ideas????
>
> THANK YOU!
> ANNA

In my opinion, if the student is working diligently and not fooling
around during their art making, then they must be enjoying what they are
doing. What's wrong with them coming in during their study hall or part
of their lunch, if it coincides with your schedule (I'm assuming the
student is older). If the work is pportable, the student could always
bring it home to work on.

Ricki