Re:digital cameras

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:32:34 +0000

> Subject: Re: Digital Camera in Classroom
> From: Woody Duncan <wduncan>
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 19:27:56 -0600
>
> I have tried the sony out, and for the ease and convenience of
> just using regular floppy discs it can't be beat. No extra software,
> no extra devices to input the images, and no extra expense of buying
> expensive discs for images. My technology department is getting us
> one for the classroom. The images used on this page were using a
> Sony Mavica with the 10 x optical zoom ($499) .
> http://www.taospaint.com/VegOut.html
> A more expensive model has a digital zoom. I can understand why,
> because an optical zoom gives better picture quality.
> Can't wait to get it, Woody in KC

This has been a research topic with us lately--we need another
camera--more students and teachers using it. I bought an Agfa Efoto 1280
about 2 1/2 yrs ago and it has been a real champ. We bought an extra
smart media card (8MB). The images are stored as JPEG and we usually
take photos at 720 ppi. They are clear and very sharp printed in a 8 1/2
by 11 format. Of course, we usually adjust them in Photoshop--Levels,
Sharpness, Contrast. etc as necessary.( We also bought an Agfa scanner
that has been a real star performer).
I would like to look at the Sony Mavica, but our next round of computers
purchased were Mac G3s that don't have a floppy drive. I was reticent to
get a camera that couldn't be used by every workstation. Perhaps putting
student photos on the server would work. Any recommendations???

Teri Brudnak
Corona del Mar High School Digital Arts Lab
Newport Beach, CA