Re: Quilting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John Kupcinski (jckup)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 01:41:52 -0600

Some art concepts that can be used with quilting:
Line (straight, curved, etc)
Shapes (geometric: square, triangles, rectangles, diamonds, hexagons, etc)
Color (complimentary, analogous, etc)
Contrast
Repetition / Pattern
Balance
Grids
Collage (applique)

Some themes / styles:
Commemorative
Realistic
Abstract
Narrative Art
Symbolism (block designs were often given names to represent historical
events or personal experiences)

Some quilt artists (really too numerous to list all) :
Miriam Schapiro (has been featured in "School Arts," 12/93 and 3/98)
Faith Ringgold (story telling, AfrAm)
Michael James (http://www.penny-nii.com/michael-james.html)
Jenny Beyer (http://www.jinnybeyer.com/)
Yvonne Porcella
Nancy Crow
http://www.quiltart.com/ neat site -- contemporary stuff

I hope the above helps to get you started!
Cheryl