Re: Grades

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (litesal)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:07:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Sharon Heneborn <heneborn>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 1:04 AM
Subject: Grades

snippets>
. . If an artists starts working on one of
> my assignments and gets carried into another exploration (the
> mentioned B/W replaced by color) or sees a different direction to take
> a project, I suggest that it be moved over to be evaluated in the
> optional category and another attempt be made to satisfy the B/W
> assignment. This way the artist will not feel that anything is wrong
> or wasted. It is, after all, an assignment - good work is good work
> and should be encouraged. . .

As she worked the piece developed a life of its own
> and went in a different direction than had been prescribed by the
> assignment. She lost track of the original directive. She was so
> excited about the work. When she turned it in the teacher held it up
> and pointed out each criteria of the assignment that had not been met,
> gave her an f, and tossed it into the garbage.

Dear Colleagues,

I agree with Sharon's thoughts about "good work." I think it is horrible
that any teacher would throw a student's efforts into the can unless the
student agreed it was garbage! That would be humiliating. I think that most
reasonable people would agree that if specific criteria for an assignment
were listed but not met, because a student went in a different direction, it
was still a worthwhile experience. If a student produces "quality" work, or
is able to articulate quality learning, that student should get credit for
the effort. On the other hand, the student is still responsible for meeting
criteria (therby demonstrating learning) but could do so in another way,
with a different assignment.

Sincerely, Leah