RE: clay ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
D Sterner (dsterner)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:24:39 -0500

I will offer one of my better clay activities: I use this with older
elementary and high school. It is based on clay that is fired and glazed,
but you can adapt to your materials:
I introduce the lesson on "HEROES...not just a big sandwich" The students
will create a bust of a super hero - head to shoulders. Develope a lesson
around the concept of a bust and what makes a super hero (physical details
that might identify a hero)

Materials:
clay, utinsils for scoring and digging, 1 buned-out lightbulb per kid, some
cellophane to wrap the bulb and paints & brushes.

Proceedure:
Shape some of the clay into a rectanglular, solid shape - wide enough for
the light bulb to be inserted. Wrap the lightbulb witth cellophane and
carefully insert to the top long side of the rectangle solid. Using small
patties of clay, carefully cover all of the lightbulb - making sure the
seams are closed and secure to the base and the coverage is uniform. By
now the bulb is covered and resembles a human bust.

Holding the clay covered bulb, turn upside down and dig out the base to
leave an even rim and exposing the base of the bulb. Turn back to right
side up and cut at the widest part of the bulb all the way around to
remove the top part of the dome of clay (I call this "brain surgery").
With the light bulb exposed on both sides, push from the base to remove
the bulb and reattach the dome using scoring tools. This part can get
tricky as you use your hands from under as well as the out side to avoid
colapsing.

..you name it! I have had wonderful success with this lesson and students
often request it!

Attached is a photo of 2 of the pieces.

-=deb=-
The first message was returned because I attached a photo of the kids'
work. if you want to see, let me know and I will post a URL or respond via
individual email

"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and
the wind longs to play with your hair..." Gibran