RE: elementary color activity

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:03:51 -0600

We do this in our Summer For Kids program. First we read The Old Black Fly.
I find cutting the straws in half help the getting dizzy part. I also raid
the Museum of Fine Arts' "party room" for margarita salt (They have
margarita machine each year at the Ceramics opening in April) for the kids
to sprinkle into the puddles of paint. It works better than table salt.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: Artystyc3 [Artystyc3]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 7:33 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: elementary color activity

You can easily use watercolor paint with first graders,I've been doing it
for
years.
We use Crayola pan paint sets. Talk to them about adding water and stirring
the paint to "wet" the colors. We paint puddles of color, one at a
time,Primary colors
first and use a straw to blow the color around. I call it "Spider painting".
They love the name and LOVE the effects of blowing red into yellow, to get
orange. Yellow into blue...etc. Just warn them about blowing too
hard.......they'll get dizzy!!! After they get the Primaries done let them
use all the colors except
brown or black......not good mixers. The paintings are beautiful!! HAVE FUN!
Patti

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: kimberly