Re: censorship

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI (occti)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:22:53 -0500

Subject: censorship

> I know this has been a thread recently regarding nudity and museum
> education, but we have a troubling situation in our own high school.

I had a situation a few years ago with an 8th grade class to which I wanted
to show an R-rated movie (minimal nudity). The school of course had a
standing policy against such things.

I sent a note home with the students giving the name of the movie
("Teachers" with Nick Nolte), my reasons for wanting to show it, and the
extent of the "offensive" material. My reasoning was that it was the
parents, above all, who should direct policy regarding the education of
their children.

ALL BUT ONE of the students' parents returned the permission slips signed.

So, one possible strategy (not a rationale to support, which seems so
obvious to me that I find it difficult to articulate) might be to take the
issue to the community. The school board might find that the community is a
lot more enlightened than they are.

Lar