RE: grades in elementary

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Julie Brady (jbrady)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:46:06 -0500 (EST)

Daryn wrote:

> I have to turn in grades. I don't
>judge by what I like (at least I try not too) but I judge by how well they
>attempted it.

In my opinion, if you are in a situation where you must use grades A - F,
give the students a set of requirements (rubric?) before they begin. EG:
Must contain warm and/or cool colors, at least three different kinds of
lines, objects in foregroung, middle ground, and background, etc. This way
you can check if they are learning the skills and vocab. and they will know
exactly what you want without creating "factory processed" work. For the
young ones, you can express your requirements with words and pictures.
This also helps to prevent people accusing you of playing favorites. Just
a thought.

Julie