RE: Lesson Plans about Censorship, Obscenity, and Freedom of Expression

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:31:06 -0600

Ginny,
I've read descriptions, written by Soviet Dissidents, of teachers
instructing students to open their textbook take out a black marker and
erase someone or event from history. Your students might find one of those
passages interesting. I'll dig through my boxes and see if I can find it.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: Ginny_Rockwood.org
[Ginny_Rockwood.org]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 9:58 AM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Cc: artsednet
Subject: Re: Lesson Plans about Censorship, Obscenity, and Freedom of
Expression

Mike,

This week I spoke about censorship with all my classes, based on the the
current two cases that have been in the news. My classes did their usual
"look at and discuss" Leutze's "Washington Crossing the Delaware." Then I
asked them to look closely at Washington to see if they noticed anything
unusual. Then I passed out the info on the People for the American Way's
website about how the Georgia schooldistrict had the watch fob painted out
on
more than 2300 textbooks.And how another district just ripped out the
offending page. (What is censorship? Is it ever good? When can it be bad?
Did
the district have the right to do that? What would happen to you if you
colored over a part of your textbook? Or ripped a page out? etc.)
Then we looked at the issue of the "Sensations" exhibit at the Brooklyn
Museum. Again, the web site of the People for the American Way has great
info
I shared with the kids. We discussed art media. (Which materials/media can
be
used for art? can't be used for art? Why did the mayor react so strongly?
Why
did other people not react negatively? How do you feel about it? etc.)
I encouraged the students to take the handouts home and share them with
parents. I included websites so they could find an image of the art to view
on home computers. Did this with 7th and 8th graders.

Ginny

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: kimberly