Re: what do you wear to work?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:05:18 -0500

>snip - (from rosa)

I think they should be trusted to wear what they feel is right for them.

Linda wrote:
Adults should exercise good judgement in their dress, appropriate to the
situation.

>rosa (as always!) makes such a good point ...to me it comes back to the
tendency for adminstrators to micromanage the
>insignificant so that they feel they have some control over something.

Linda wrote: Is this a management style or personality quirk? Drives
teachers crazy trying to jump through the non-essential hoops. Have a really
good principal now who supports my program and me as a teacher. He'd defend
my right to dress for the art room.

Should the girls' belly buttons be
>allowed to show or not? how short can the shortest shorts be?

Ithought i was supposed to be
>worried about what they LEARN.
Linda wrote:
What they learn is really important, but how they dress can interfere with
the learning enviornment. A first grade belly button is fairly innocent, but
an eighth graders belly button and provacative clothing can seriously
interrupt learning. I never thought I'd be concerned about the way students
dress until I had a middle school girl who looked 18 at 13, blatantly
bragged about what she and her boyfriend were doing with her mother's
knowledge, and dressed provactively for school. She flirted with all the
popular boys, sauntered rather than walked, and used any excuse to cross the
room. Her midi tops drove the boys wild. When she "complained" the boys
were looking at her, I felt compelled to tell her that perhaps less
revealing clothes would solve it. That wasn't the answer or attention she
wanted. Very disruptive. What should I have done differently? I don't know.
Other girls can wear midi tops and no problems occur.

while the REAL problems go unaddressed.

Linda wrote:
I thought her real problem was her lack of guidance and seductive behavior.
Everyone avoided confronting that.