Re: Department Head

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
San D Hasselman (kprs)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 09:27:55 -0500

My department head is a Italian Teacher. His responsibilities are the following
departments: Fine Arts, Language, Industrial Arts, Library, and ALL the
technology (computers) in the school. Essentially we have NO department head,
and haved worked our department accordingly. For example in New Jersey we have
Core Curriculum Standards and all departments have to rewrite curriculum to
match these standards. We, in the art department, worked at the ground work with
the state with the creation of those standards, and reworked our curriculum over
three years ago to match those 'upcoming' curricula...so we are ahead of the
game. Right now he(the dept head) is trying to persuade his other departments to
rewrite their curriculum to match those standards, and he is not having any
luck. They want compensation to do it, and the Board can't afford all of those
departments at once. We got paid three years ago to do it. We (at this point
there are two of us, in the past there were four of us) have met every month at
the local diner, set strategies, and then went and delinieated that strategy in
a language that a non art teacher department head could understand. He KNOWS
not to make a move without us, or hell will be paid. He tried, and was publicly
humiliated by me, in a strategic move, that we anticipated at one of our
meetings. I will meet anyone toe to toe, I have no fear especially when I know
the department head needs us to give him the necessary information to be able to
appear professional at those "gazilion" meetings, AND, we always make him look
good. We set our own budgets, rework our schedules so that we split the classes
according to our strengths, decide on field trips, write curriculum all WITHOUT
him. He just gets the money.

San D