Re: contemporary art and non art majors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Carla Schiller (teachercbs)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:39:28 -0600

--------------057B4348264F51CA90EDB8E0

If any of you can get to LA during the correct week in the summer, the Museum of
Contemporary Art (MOCA) has an amazing program for teachers about contemporary
art. They call it "Contemporary Art Start." It's actually aimed at non-art
teachers to work modern art into their subjects, but I went as an art history
teacher and learned SO much. Most of the attendees are elementary school
students, but I found almost all of it useable for my AP (college-level)
high-school Art History class. Among other things, they gave everyone a book of
great lesson plans and about $300 worthof slides! The conference cost was, I
think, $15. If you're in LA they also have you bring your students to the
museum twice for special docent, interactive, tours, and they provide the bus
for the second trip!
--Carla
Maggie White wrote:

> Onevans wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for information regarding the teaching of contemporary art to
> > non-art majors at the college level. (this could include grades 9-12 HS as
> > well).
> > any references such as articles, books, suggestions or comments would be
> > appreciated.
>
> I picked up a wonderful small book in SF when the NAEA convention
> was there. It's called An Usborne Introduction _Understanding
> Modern Art_, by Bohn-Duchen and Cook. It is published by EDC
> Publishing in Tulsa. I couldn't find an ISBN # on it. At 64
> pages, it's a very friendly and non-threatening intro to modern
> art. It was only $7.95.
>
> Maggie
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: teachercbs

--------------057B4348264F51CA90EDB8E0

begin: vcard
fn: Carla Schiller,Esq.
n: Schiller,Esq.;Carla
org: North Hollywood High School, North Hollywood, CA
email;internet: teachercbs
note: http://lausd.12.ca.us/~cschille/index.html
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE