Re: Decorative Party Plates

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:36:50 -0700

BluesTruth wrote:

> I grabbed some
> paper plates (leftovers from some faculty lunch) and I told the kids (2nd
> grade) to design plates for a party. We talked about what kind of party it
> could be. <snip> Well, they had a blast and
> they really loved this simple assignment that I thought of 2 seconds before
> they walked in the room!!

My best desperation assignment came the day before school started
a few years ago when none of my supplies had arrived and I didn't
have enough of any one thing to do a unit in the 3D class. I
threw together a lesson on creating masks from "junque", which is
about all I had in the room: giant pieces of cardboard, big
chunks of Styrofoam, egg cartons, yarn, electrical wire, etc. I
showed the students slides of masks from various cultures, many
of which use found materials. Their masks were fantastic.
Although I've done essentially the same lesson many times since,
the later masks were never quite as good as those first ones.

Maggie