Re: what do you wear to work? "dressing for success" and dressing to make art--

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:24:59 -0700

Eliza Jones wrote:
> Just wondering what other arts educators wear when they teach. My
> school requires "professional dress." I'd like to wear messy, studio clothes
> so I can relax about getting paint and plaster on my presentable clothes.
> What do you all wear?
> Eliza in Boston

Dennis said it all: > I wear work clothes, figuring that
> dress is that which allows me to pursue my profession.

We don't have a dress code in our rural district. I always wear
pants and have found that Levis Dockers are very comfy and
presentable and inexpensive to replace if they get ruined. I
collect Tshirts on my travels, esp. from museums and other sites,
and wear those in warm weather. In winter I live in turtlenecks
and sweaters. My shoes? Well, I have six pairs of
Birkenstocks...and a couple pairs of clogs, and some "real"
shoes. Most everything I wear has some stain on it. If someone
points it out, I just act surprised, like it must've just
happened...;) Well, I _am_ the art teacher! What do they

A really big apron helps, even if all you're doing is cleaning
around the sink. Can you at least wear some funky coveralls
during class time?