Re: signatures (delete if it offends)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MPBC90
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:06:58 EST

My response to the teacher who asked how everyone dealt with signatures was
WHAT I TEACH and nothing more. Funny how the list is getting so snotty
lately. Aren't we just sharing our different strategies? Take it or leave
it!
MP
Subject: Re: signatures on art
From: rwilkin
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:53:23 +0500

Let me get this straight. As an artist I must stop signing my work
in the bottom right corner, most of the time. Gee I had no idea that that was
THE way
to sign artwork!
Touchy?

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:48:43 EST
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet>
From: MPBC90

I have begun teaching my kids (K-6) to "sign like an artist!" which means
NOT on the back, NOT in the corner, but withIN the artwork. I use VanGogh's
Sunflowers as an example, with his name (Vincent) along the edge of the vase,
but not detracting from the artwork. It has been working very well. I
remind them not to HIDE it too well, so that I cannot find it! Some still
scrawl it right across the artwork, but they are learning!
MP

>>I am curious as to what EXPECTATIONS everyone has for student signatures =
on their artworks.

I have begun teaching my kids (K-6) to "sign like an artist!"
Some still scrawl it right across the artwork, but they are learning!
> MP

Ask them why they do this---you may get some interesting responses. After
all,
isn't this what graffiti is all about?

Best wishes,
Joseph

Now what does THAT mean? These are third graders, some who lack the fine
motor control to write their name small, much less along a curve of a pumpkin
still life. I was smiling when I typed the original post. The "signing like
an artist" was a tip I got fromanother art teacher that I thought was a nice
idea. Jeez you guys!
MP