Re: what do you wear to work? "dressing for success" and dressing to make art--

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (KPRS)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:09:54 -0500

While I never wear messy studio clothes, I do dress in "artsy" clothes.(hand
painted, self designed, ethnic inspired etc). I do have smocks which are equally
as interesting that I wear. I dress comfortably, and in "surprising" ways. My
superitendent has taken a shine to my extensive shoe collection, making sure to
comment whenever he sees my yellow Doc Martens. My favorite comments from
faculty, students, and community alike is "wow, only you could pull that off".
(maybe it was my kimono collection, or could it have been the band jacket I
wore????)

I teach in a high school. AND I think it's important for my students to realize
that marching to the tune of a different drummer, doesn't make you
"unprofessional". In fact on Wednesday we had "Blue Jeans for Babies Day" a day
where if you donated money to a cause supporting the health of babies, you got a
button and you were entitled as a faculty member to wear blue jeans. I was
dressed to the nines NOT in blue jeans....the only teacher in school with her
button, and wearing her "Sunday go to meetin'" clothes.--so you see, clothes do
in fact make the man/and or woman!

San D