Re: Who can tell us what happened to Getty and Art Ed?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:02:17 -0700

Lori Graham wrote:

> Something is going on at the Getty. I took my college group on a museum
> visit and our presence was less than welcome. After waiting a year for
> an appointment to reserve bus parking and gallery lectures, the results
> were most disappointing. When
> making the reservations, I specifically requested permission to talk
> with my students in the galleries or have a docent from the Getty. My
> requests were ignored. <snip>

This experience smacks of the preciousness that museums used to
have, which gave Dan Quayle fodder for his tirade against
cultural elitism. Jeez, museums have been trying so hard to
reach out to the public at large; the Getty just set them back
about 50 years. To put this in perspective, I take my HS
students to the Phoenix Art Museum, an eight hour round trip for
us, at least once a year. The education director and our
favorite docent bend over backwards to accomodate our crazy
schedule and make it a worthwhile experience. After a one hour
guided tour, we set the students loose for an hour to wander the
museum on their own and see whatever they want. Yeah, it makes
the guards a little edgy, but my kids conduct themselves in a
responsible manner and we've never had any complaints.
And...it's all free! And I only have to schedule about a month
ahead of time.

Maggie